May 28, 2008

My favourite educational drum videos (01)

PART ONE (Hand Technique)

For guys like me, who don't have the time or money or what else to take regular drum lessons with a teacher, educational videos are a great tool to get some vital information about how to play the instrument.
Many great drummers have made one or more educationals, focusing on different issues, but of course being a great drummer doesn't necessarily mean being a great teacher too, so I'm going to list my favourite videos for each "category" choosing the ones that I feel are the best from a teaching (and learning) point of view.
I'm starting from "Hand Technique".

For this category I've chosen 4 videos that I'll rate as "outstanding".
The first 2 videos are my absolute favourites:
Dave Weckl - A Natural Evolution - How to develop Technique
Jojo Mayer - Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer
Both of them present clearly the main concepts in hand technique, such as the Gladstone and Moeller techniques, French and Greman grip, differences between traditional and matched and so on.
I like the Weckl's video becouse it really gives you a focus on how to naturally grip the sticks and move them in relation to your body and the drums.
He is crystal clear and sticks to the simple things, showing you how to play single strokes, doubles, triplets and paradiddles using the natural movements of your body and the rebound of the stick. Dave Weckl is a great drummer and wonderful teacher.
On the other hand Mayer really goes further, giving you exercises that may take you to a level you didn't imagine to be in reach. The quality of his video is incredible and you will surely find the "troubleshooting" sections very useful.
So my advice is, start from Weckl and then go for Jojo!

There are 2 more videos I found very interesting and may give some more ideas and points of view:
Joe Morello - The Natural Approach to Technique
Steve Smith - Drumset Technique
These two legendary drummers give their personal view of how to play naturally on the snare drum and drumset, the first one focusing on hand technique and the second going on to foot, drumset, style and what not.
I suggest to watch these too even if they are not as clear as the first couple concerning grip and basic moves.

Thank you for reading and see you to the next part (Foot Technique)

No comments: